Artist Experience BIO – Phyllis Anne Taylor Approximately – 1964 – 2004
• trained in figurative drawing and painting at Tyler School of Art in Philadelphia;
• received a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in illustration from the Philadelphia College of Art; studied Art Management at The American University in Washington, DC;
• worked in the Graphics/Photography Department, first, as the Executive Assistant to the Managing Editor and then as an artist for USA Today in Roslyn, VA
Stone Mountain, GA – 2005 – 2011
• exhibited throughout the Atlanta metropolitan area and taught expressive arts
• creator of Creative Expressions Xpress YourSELF! Introduced drawing/painting as an alternative method for creatively expressing feelings to women who had experienced abuse/trauma allowing them to release negative feelings buried deep within themselves.
Fern Park, FL – 2011 to the present:
• active in the central Florida art community, exhibiting throughout Orange, Osceola and Seminole Counties in venues such as the Healing Lane Gallery of Florida Hospital, City Arts Factory, Orlando Museum of Art’s 1st Thursdays, Casselberry Art House, Osceola Center of the Arts, Sanford Arts Welcome Center, The JamArt Gallery and others.
• 2014 – 2020 taught Xpress YourSELF! Intentional Creativity ® art classes every other Monday
at the JSA-DaVita-Optima Medical Community Center in Fern Park, FL
• Taught Intentional Creativity® workshops at The Maitland Art Center; and “Create Your Own Masterpiece” classes at the Kaleidoscope Art Gallery in Longwood, FL
• Creativity Coaching and teaches drawing fundamentals and portrait drawing privately to individuals;
• Keynote speaker on Intentional Creativity®) at the Seminole County Art Association;
• Live mixed media demo for the Artists League of Orange County;
• Spoke on the process of Intentional Creativity® “Using Story to Transform Your Life” at the Eatonville Kinect NRG Business After Hours event and on their Women Empowering Women panel;
• Live painting for the Maitland Art Center Gala Fundraiser and Auction
• Taught workshop on creating Vision Story Books and interviewed in Sonoma, Ca – link
• Original painting commissioned for the Red Thread Connect group image, Sonoma, CA. • Double Nickels Theatre Group of Washington, DC commissioned painting of “Scheherazade and Her Sisters” for their Salon presentation at the Hirschhorn Museum.
• Guest Art Teacher at Art Worx LA in Los Angeles, CA
• Workshop facilitator for “A Muse Me” in Los Angeles, CA for a group of young business
• Intentional Creativity® workshop facilitator for the Maitland Art Center: “Create Your Own Masterpiece”, “How Does Your Garden Grow?” and “Create a Vision Story Book”.
• Guest artist selected to exhibit in the Art Basel Miami Gallery for Art Basel in Miami, FL (see link below):
Awards & Accolades:
• In January, 2014 the charcoal portrait of a young woman “Deep Thinking” won a monetary 3rd
place award in the Women in the Arts: Celebrating the Genius of Women” competition.
• In December, 2015 a charcoal, graphite & pastel portrait “Joaquin” won a monetary 1st place
award from the Artists League of Orange County.
• In March, 2016 the charcoal & pastel portrait “Remember the Time”, cited by juror Kathleen Chenet for its “strong composition, excellent draftsmanship, choice and use of medium enhancing the subject matter, all coming together to create a thoughtful and complete work, evocative of another time…” won a monetary 1st place award in the juried exhibition at Casselberry Art House.
• In March, 2017, The Double Nickels, a Washington, DC Intergenerational Theater company, used six mixed media portraits in their production of “Fierce Seniors and Brilliant Black Girls: Stories, Music and Camaraderie with Women 15 to 94!” shown at the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC
• In March, 2018, The Double Nickels Theater presented “HERSTORY: Fierce, Fabulous & Feminine” a presentation of six women of various ages (30 to 75) and diverse backgrounds and cultures speaking on how they came into their authentic selves.
The presentation title is based on the Fierce, Fabulous & Feminine coloring book created by Phyllis A. Taylor who also was a presenter in the production held at THEARC Black Box Theater in Washington, DC
• In December of 2015 the charcoal/pastel portrait “Remember the Time” was selected by F&W Media/North Light Books and published in “Art Journey: Portraits and Figures, the Best in Contemporary Drawing in Charcoal/Graphite, Pastel and Colored Pencil”.
• In September, 2016 Phyllis A. Taylor self-published an adult coloring book of atypical portraits entitled “Fierce, Fabulous & Feminine – Always Authentic, Never Jeopardizing Individuality” which is available for purchase on http://www.Amazon.com and various venues around Orlando, FL
• Blog by For Black Girls, November, 2016
• by Maria Guerrero for Women in the Arts News in February, 2017
• by Shelley Klammer for Expressive Arts Newsletter in March, 2017 (https://www.expressiveartworkshops.com/narrative-therapy/healing-stories/phyllis-a-taylor- transforming-pain-into-purpose/)
• by Jill Duff-Hoppes for the Altamonte-Wekiva Springs Life Magazine of July/August, 2017 on the “Create Your Own Masterpiece” class held at the Kaleidoscope Venue for the Arts in Longwood, FL
In February, 2017 Phyllis A. Taylor became a Certified Creatively Fit Coach (CCFC) trained to encourage others to acknowledge, accept and activate their own creativity. Expanding into their fullest personal expression and infinite creative possibilities they learn the connection
between confidence in one’s creative abilities and personal fulfillment and success.
In November, 2017 Phyllis A. Taylor received Certification through the Color of Woman Teacher Training program where women are educated and empowered to lead and teach their own circles, workshops and communities providing education and access to intuitive art resources and experiences. Intentional Creativity® is a process of focusing on intention, inquiry, imagination and insight throughout the act of creating. Intentional Creatives don’t believe art is something just for those who are gifted/talented but believe creativity is a way for all beings to access their own stories, ideas, beliefs and healing pathways.
Intentional Creativity® Online (and in person/when applicable) painting classes, workshops or retreats; Creativity Coaching; Individual drawing classes.